Monday, March 24, 2014

Get the Spring back in your step!

Okay so it's technically already a few days into spring. But where I live, it's supposed to snow again in a couple of days.

Being a skier and snowboarder, I've always loved the snow, and I'll admit I do feel a little excited about the possibility of snow (crazy, right?). But I know this winter has just seemed to drag on forever.

So, if you're like me and just about all of my friends and family and you have a major case of the Winter Blahs, or maybe you're just ready for a change of scenery, I've compiled a list of 5 easy things to brighten your day, even if it's gloomy and bitter outside.

1. Bake a bright and yummy treat!


Nothing makes me happier than baking something new to welcome a new season. Even if it hasn't really arrived yet (thanks, Jack Frost) you can bet I'll be in the kitchen whipping up some vanilla cupcakes with my Grandma's classic buttercream frosting. For my cupcakes, I'll definitely be using pretty pastel colored frosting and bright sprinkles to make it feel especially spring-y. Stay tuned for a post on what I cook up!

2. Get outside!

It doesn't matter whether you run 5 miles (if you can do this, MAJOR props to you) or just go for a leisurely walk. Simply breathing the fresh air will leave you feeling exhilarated if you've been cooped up for a long winter. Even if it still feels and looks like winter where you live, get that booty movin' and I promise you won't regret it.

3.  Give yourself a mani-pedi!

Nothing screams spring like finally giving those poor toenails some much-needed attention after being neglected all winter. If you're like me, that is, and have an "out of sight, out of mind" mentality about toes and shaving legs during the winter. 
(image created by me on polyvore)

Above are a few nail polish colors that I think are perfect for spring. I especially love opaque icy pinks as an ideal winter-spring transition color. Essie's Fiji is a good one. Also, the pretty orchid is Pantone's color of the year, and these purple shades are a great spring color as well.

4. Get artsy fartsy!

Who doesn't love a good DIY project? These are not only fun to make but can also be useful and give your space a fresh new look.

Pinterest is a great place to search for ideas. I adore Mason Jar crafts, which are extra fun for spring. They make perfect flower vases!
(image is my own)

These are some Mason Jars I decorated with a friend. We spray painted the jars with a matte bronzy gold shade called Caramel Latte, then used Mod Podge to apply rose gold loose glitter after the spray paint had dried. To get the even line like the one jar has, I simply used a piece of paper as a guideline. For the little jar, we just cut hearts out of painter's tape and stuck them on, then spray painted the whole thing and peeled the tape off when it was dry. I love the rustic look these have. It would be cute to do bright colors for spring.

5. Pamper yourself!

For many, myself included, dull, drab skin comes along with the winter weather. What better time to treat yourself than to celebrate spring? 

Browse Pinterest for a DIY face mask for your skin type, or simply purchase one at the store. I have oily skin and I like the Mary Kay Botanical Effects Clay Mask (oily skin formula). Anything with charcoal or clay should help to draw out impurities. 

Spring is coming, people! Even if the weather forecast may not show it, it's bound to arrive sometime. 

XOXO,
Cass

No comments:

Post a Comment